Sunday, November 2, 2008

Difficult Day

Yesterday, we had to put our family dog, Abby, to sleep. She had been in our family for about 13 years, first with my parents, then with my brother, and finally with us the last year or two. This was hard in itself, but it was really difficult explaining it to my daughter. She's definitely old enough to know what's going on. To say the least, all of us shed many tears. Ellie is extremely caring and empathetic, and these are great traits for someone so young. Her major concern with all of this made us smile and cry all at the same time. She was worried when we go to heaven that we would never be able to find Abby because someone else would have already taken her from the pet store. Also, as kids often do, she drew many pictures to help deal with the loss. It's probably why kids are so resilient. They do not hold anything back.

Actually writing this has been difficult. So I'll make it short. As my dad said when he said his good-byes, "Abby you were a good dog." Thank you.

1 comment:

The Moser Fam... said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog! I hope Ellie, and all of you, are feeling happier soon. I know a dog is like a member of the family.

A Slice of Pi - Life Is Good

Chris Viox