Friday, November 9, 2007

Rest of Day 1 & FTOPS Update

I finished 112th with the top 80 getting paid last night in the $300 Razz. I had things going for a while, but then won only 1 hand out of 52. This got me real short, and I could never get back over the hump. Nick aka BlueFlare of crazy aggressive no limit holdem fame tried his luck at Razz and gave a pretty good showing. He finished 68th(??) for around $700, but it could have been so much better if not for one of the worst beats/played hands. At the 1500/3000 limits he completed the bet on 3rd to 1500 with (A5)4. The bring in called showing a J (it turned out he had A5 or 6 down). On 4th Nick hit 7 and the guy hit a 3. Nick bet guy called. On 5th Nick hit a 3 for a made 7, the guy hit an 8. Nick once again bet and the guy called. At this point the guy needs to hit a 642 and then hit it again to win assuming Nick bricks out (Nick was a 97% favorite). This of course happened, and Nick lost a 40K pot to put him over 50K when the average was less than 30K. In any case, Mr. BlueFlare had a nice run.

Back to Indiana:

I left off just getting moved to my 3rd table of the day. The play here was decent but hardly great.

Seat 1: solid young guy on a short stack (later replaced by Carlos Uz)
Seat 2: very good internet pro playing very tight on short stack (later replaced by complete nut)
Seat 3: very weak short stack (later 3rd place finisher Vito sits down on a monster stack)
Seat 4: fairly normal passive pre flop guy, but easy to bluff post (he always feared the worst)
Seat 5: me
Seat 6: older guy decent stack, pre bets indicated hand strength (big = marginal, small = bigger)
Seat 7: old guy in Party Poker hat nothing special
Seat 8: Hammer - loves the big allin, was playing somewhat tight but still uber agg
Seat 9: fairly active young guy on a short stack (moved allin a fair amount for 10-20 BBs)
Seat 10: very tight kid who snapped after he doubled up to lose all his chips in 2 hands (Denny Crum later sat down with a big stack - yet he was a complete NIT)

300/600 75 ante 22,700 in chips

I fold the first 20 hands or so
1) CO 98, I raise to 1600, hammer shoves for 23K (I think he remembers me from watching Mandy's table - seems like the type who might hold a grudge and try to send home a point)
2) MP KQd, raise to 1600, BUT calls (seat 10),
J84, I bet 2100 he folds (22,500)
3) 2nd QQ, I raise to 1600, Hammer raises to 4K (this raise made me cringe, as it did to Tom when I first told him the action - Hammer had never done this in 2 days of watching him. It was always huge RRs which I would have snap called) in any case, I hesitantly call
A82, check check (another weird play - he almost always continuation bet hard)
5, check, he bets 4K, i think for a while and call (I had no idea if he was milking me or not. I didn't want to raise b/c I only had another 14K or so behind. My only raise option would have been the min raise. I also could have led out, but against hammer that might have been like throwing a fastball right down the middle)
7, check check he shows TT and I take down a decent pot (I honestly have no idea how I should have played this because of how confused I was with his "odd" play, but I was elated to have won it)
4) Next hand UTG QJh, raise to 1600, CO and BB call (seat 1 and 4)
Q(T6d), check, I bet 2800, both fold
5) Next Hand BB A9, folds to SB he completes, I raise to 2600, he folds

The level ends a few hands later with me on 35,100 in chips. I only played five hands this whole level, but I won four of them and increased my stack 60%. This was my biggest stack all tournament long relative to the avg (which was around 28,000 or so). I never had a huge stack obviously.

400/800 100 ante

1) BB A5, BUT raise to 1800, SB call I call (getting 5 to 1)
(86h)4 check @
J, SB bets 3K, all fold
2) UTG KQ, I raise to 2100, 2nd raises to 10K, all fold he shows JJ (this was his only pre RR the entire day that I could remember. It setup a hand that occurred later on in day 2)
3) BB A9, as before it folds to SB who completes, I raise to 3300, he folds
4) MP 99, seat 3 raises to 3K (with only 11600 total left), I RR to 9K, folds @ to him, allin call
he shows KQc and the board runs out T8422 (44K)
5) SB KQ, BUT raises to 2800 (he has 18K behind), I make a loose call (some of the guys thought I should have raised big here because the guy was tight and would fold most hands, it is a valid point.) However the flop comes...............
AJT, I opt to CR allin when he bets 3800 (I didn't think he could fold a decent A, and if he didn't have an A I probably get no more action anyways. There was debate as to how to play this - lead out, check call, check raise allin, check raise small) He folds telling me he folded AQ.
I believe him b/c we had been talking a lot at the table and it seemed sincere. (50K)
6) MP 88, UTG (new seat 2 - complete nut job I will stack if I hit) raises to 2300, I call
(T6c)6, bets 3K, I call
3c, he shoves for 27000, I fold (44K)
7) HJ 75s, one limper, I limp, BB hammer raises 5k more and all fold (42K)
8) Next hand MP A7, I raise to 2100 into the two tightest blinds, all fold (44K)
9) UTG KK, I raise to 2100, 2nd pos and both blinds call,
J84 (2 spades), check check, Ibet 6K all fold (50K)
10) SB A6h, three limpers, I complete
732, check check, bet 6K I fold

I end this level at 49,300. There are only 32 or 33 left and we are playing down to 27.

600/1200 200 ante

1) 1st hand back CO KK, Crum UTG raises to 2800 (and he is TIGHT), I raise to 8K, he calls
(Q52d) I have no diamond (this flop sucks) check check (I check to see his turn action, I know he is the type to auto check to me any flop b/c of my RR pre)
Jd yuck, he checks I fire a measly 7K he folds (60K)
2) HJ J4, I raise to 3100 in an any two spot, all fold

I fold for the next round as an allin fest ensues. Then the day ends with me at 56,700. This is right at the average and puts me in 11th place out of the 27 left. I was very happy with the day given the start. I took advantage of many situations that were given to me, and I made few mistakes. I didn't play perfect but I played my style of pot control and minimizing risk. It is a deep stack style I try to use whenever the fields are soft like this. Certain good players can take advantage of this if I don't adjust. We will see how it serves me the rest of the way.

On to the countdown:

At #8) I think this hand happened at the 200/400 50 ante level at my 2nd table. The 10 seat limped in (he was the very loose younger guy). The button raised it to 1500 or so (he was a very weak limper, but you had to give his raises some credit). The small blind called (fairly tight bad player). All three had decent to big stacks. I will give you their hands ahead of time because I think it is necessary. SB - A3s, Limper - K5s, Button TT. The flop came (T4s)3c. It checks to the button who makes it 3K. They both call. Turn is the 5c. At this point the small blind decides to bet out 2500. Both guys call. River is an offsuit Q, and it checks around?!?! The button fails to raise on the turn and to bet on the river when he is last to act and has a set of tens. I'm not sure what he was looking for, but apparently he didn't find it.

At #7) Another Carlos Uz hand (surprise). This occurred at the final table with seven players left and Carlos starting to think he is invincible. It was the 2000/4000 500 ante. Vito limps UTG, and Carlos limps from the button. The small blind then shoves for about 70 to 80K. He hadn't been very active on his short stack. It folds back to Carlos with only 4K invested and about 400K in his stack. He calls with A9(?). The shortie shows AK (big surprise!). Of course a nine flops and Carlos is flying high as the board bricks out.

No comments:

A Slice of Pi - Life Is Good

Chris Viox