Friday, November 2, 2007

Worst Final Table Ever?

In what may have been the worst overall quality of play at any major main event in the history of poker, the worst player may have won it (and I use win very loosely because the end was as embarrassing as most of the rest of the tourney). Furthermore, the final three have to be the worst final three at any major tournament ever. I ended up in sixth place for 34K while Toph got 5th for 41K. Over the next few days I will go into (the inexplicable) details of the whole tournament. I could probably blog on just this touorney for a month. I honestly think poker regressed before my eyes. Whether it was 35x preflop shoves, allin calls with nothing, or celebrating a hand you thought you won that you actually lost while the winner is upset because he thinks he lost; this tournament had more unfathomable moments than any I have ever been part of. I don't know if anything in poker will ever surprise me again.

I have some time tonight, so I will start the summary with my hand summary from day 1:

Level 1: 25/50 10,000 in chips

Despite the low level of play in this tourney my starting table was actually very difficult.
Seat 1: Old guy who tended to siphon at every opportunity
Seat 2: Tight old guy
Seat 3: MasterJ
Seat 4: Another old guy who siphoned, loved to bet when anyone showed weakness
Seat 5: Me
Seat 6: Tom Schneider - plays very lag
Seat 7: Matt Brady - very solid tricky pro w/ pretty good results, very hard to put on a hand, we played all day 3 of the WSOP Main Event together
Seat 8: One of the better regulars at Indiana tourneys although still only average
Seat 9: very lag hick looking guy, surprised me as you will later see, usually bet at weakness
Seat 10: empty until the first table broke, but then Joel Casper sat down - hes a very good player but came to the table very short

1) 4th hand of touney - BB AA Brady raises in 2nd pos to 125. I RR to 500 and he folds. Tom and J think I just should have called here and I agree. My hand was very defined with my raise given the stage of the tourney.
2) CO K8c seat 4 and I limp w/ both blinds coming in:
K22 all check,
T - BB bets 125, call call SB folds.
A - ch, seat 4 bets 350 instantly and I fold. BB calls and seat 4 shows AT to win
3) MP JJ raise to 125, all fold
4) BB 85 get a walk
5) SB Q8, four limpers I complete. the board runs out T95K4 with it checked down the whole way (pair of 5s win)
6) CO 99 seat 1 opens for 300 (a big open but this guy is fit to be pwned) J calls, 4 calls as do I
JT2 flop, 1 and J check while 4 bets 300 and I get out of the way.
J wins a big pot with a set of 10s when seat 1 can't get away from the obvious overpair.
7) HJ 87, 1 limps I limp as does Schneider and Brady and the blinds
T85, checks to me and I bet 150, both Schneider and Brady call
J (2nd club), I ch fold to Schneiders 600 bet as Brady calls (Brady wins with J high straight)
8) BB 53c, Brady raises to 125, I call
K(K8c), check check, T check check, Q check check (he wins with JTs) I felt no need to stab at this even with the flush draw. Matt seemed to want to play very conservative with me. Therefore his check behinds didn't mean "it's yours". Furthermore, I was fine with the free look for my flush if he was willing to give it.
9) SB 98d, folds around to me and I complete w/ Schneider checking
JT9, check, he bets 50, I call
7, check check
J, check check I win with straight, I thought the only way I was getting anymore from Tom was by letting him bet it. He had nothing it turned out. Nothing gained nor lost
10) BUT 33, folds around, I just limp (on this level I just wanted to see a flop, stealing the blinds didnt interest me even as the first in from the button)
A98, Tom leads for 100 and we both fold
11) MP KQ, I raise to 125, Tom RR to 350, I fold

I end the uneventful level at 9250. I planned on playing this table very conservatively because our table was going to be the 2nd to break (when 14 players were eliminated), and I was fairly sure the next table wouldn't be nearly this tough given the lack of star power in this field.

I will do more later....

2 comments:

TheGraveWolf said...

how much was first?

Chris Viox said...

225K or so plus a seat into the WSOp main event

A Slice of Pi - Life Is Good

Chris Viox