Thursday, July 3, 2008

WSOP Prelim Wrap-up

This is what I wrote at the beginning of the series about my goals/expectations.

"The following is a list of minimum goals for my series:
Events: 18
Cashes: 4 for at least 60K (to cover my trip expenses and have a little profit)
Final Tables: 1

Furthermore, I want to stay focused and have fun. Last year, I went 0 for the series until the Main Event. I was very down and not enthused about much. I don't see that happening this year for a couple reasons: 1) I learned from last year. I am not taking the WSOP for granted. Last year I don't think I got pumped up enough. 2) Staying in this house with a bunch of pros should keep the time here very fun and entertaining.

I fully expect at least 20 cashes and 3 final tables from our house. While the odds of a bracelet IMO are about 1 in 4, I still think one or two people will have a great shot. Two years ago, when we had the first "House of Pain", Jason had a 6th place, I had a 3rd place and Paul had the memorable 2nd place Main Event finish. This year's house is far more experienced."

So what has happened? On my personal goals, I have played 16 events with the Main being my 17th. This was one below my target, although I passed up on about 2 or 3 due to just not being in the mood. I have had 3 cashes for 71K which is strong given only 16 events. If I get a cash in the Main then I will be right on the goal for number of cashes. I have already exceeded my most important goal of 60k in cashes (although I won't squabble if I get more). Furthermore, I did reach one final table, and while I was disappointed with the outcome, I am still pumped about it. My emotional goals were exceeded. I feel I have brought my focus and drive to every tourney I entered. Even at the start when I bricked out my first ten tourneys here, I felt I never gave up and was just running horribly.

On the house expectations, we are a little below what I thought would happen. However, I think this is mainly due to many of the guys playing far less tourneys than I thought they would. seven of the regulars have played less than 5 WSOP events. Some of them have played many of the Venetian's Deep Stacks instead. Overall, we have (by my count) 14 cashes and two final tables. In both final tables, we had excellent chances for a bracelet only to fall short with a 2nd and a 3rd. To reach my targets of 20 cashes and 3 final tables, it would take I sick run for the 11 of us playing, but who knows.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK IN THE BIG ONW. I WANT TO SEE A STALLIONS HAT ON TV.

Mr. Wrinkles

A Slice of Pi - Life Is Good

Chris Viox