Monday, August 4, 2008

State Champs!

The fastpitch softball team I play on won the Class "B" state championship this past weekend. We went 5-0 and completely dominated the competition. The crazy thing is I don't think we played nearly as good as we could have, although we did hit like madmen. Our pitching was hit and miss (either very strong or pretty soft), and our defense was generally good, but we made some bad and almost critical errors. Of note on defense was Steve Godar at third base. He made play after play (some of them pretty fantastic).

The all state team included six of our players:

Mike Klein (C)
Derrick Johnston (IF)
Steve Godar (3B)
Mike Godar (P) Most Valuable Pitcher
Isaac May (OF) Most Valuable Player
Me (OF)

Isaac had a ridiculous tourney as our leadoff hitter. It seemed every time I came up to bat he was on base. In addition, everyone on our team seemed to contribute in some respect during the tourney.

This was our second state championship in four years. The group of guys I play with on the team are the main reason I keep playing. With my job in poker, I usually miss about half the season for the WSOP. It would be much easier for me to just give it up, but there isn't a guy on the team I don't like. It's hard to quit when it's so much fun to just be around the whole team. Furthermore, anyone that's been around our team knows that the wives and kids just add to the experience. Sometimes it seems like a daycare center at our games, and I actually love that. It is really a great family atmosphere that says alot about the quality of guys I play with. This is what makes winning state even more special.

We go to nationals in Mankato, MN in two and a half weeks. We have had little success recently at nationals, and hopefully we can turn this around this year. We definitely have a team that can do some damage if we play well.

2 comments:

GnightMoon said...

Congrats Pi that's awesome! Watch out for the Mankato accents, they're pretty thickkkk...

TheGraveWolf said...

Yeah that's awesome dude. Maybe in a couple of years you will be ready to face the Manosaurus Ball Rippers...

A Slice of Pi - Life Is Good

Chris Viox