Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A Big September?

For the month of September, I have set a lofty goal of trying to finish in the top 10 for Pocket 5's monthly rankings. This month's tenth place person has 2298 pts currently. apestyles, SCTrojans and ComeonPhish are some of the big names in this month's top 10, and only 2 of the top 10 are not in the top 100 of Pocket 5's overall sliding rankings (the sliding rankings have a different method of calculating your overall score than the monthly). mr. menlo, PearlJammer, atimos, and BeLOWaBOVe are just outside it.

They have a pretty simple formula: Points = (PrizePool^1/2) / (PlaceFinished^3/5). All cashes are counted. For perspective, if you get 1st place in a 100 person $100 tourney, you would receive 100 pts. For a month, only your top 20 scores are counted, and only 12 can be from the same site.

I will be playing almost all of the WCOOPs, and I will be playing a variety of the bigger tourneys. What I won't be doing is playing nonstop everyday. I plan on increasing my play without going overboard. Some days I probably won't even play at all (or barely).

To give you an idea of how I have been doing, I am in 520th place for August with 519 pts (only 8 cashes). In their overall rankings, I sit in 602nd place. Even though I have never really focused on tournaments, I do play a fair amount of them. However, alot of the tourneys I do play are small ones just for shits and grins. They are relatively worthless in a ranking system. I will be cutting these out for the main reason of I will already be playing enough bigger tourneys. My minimum requirement to play a tourney is going to be a 10K prize pool. The only exception to this is if the buyin is over $100. Some of the UB $100 tourneys get less than 100 players. I will play these because they provide a very reasonable chance of winning (an 81 person one would give 90 pts for 1st). Even though I need to average around 115 points or more for my 20 scores for the month (20*115=2300), a 90 point score is still good. The current 10th place person has 7 scores less than 90 being counted for the month.

I will keep everyone updated on my progress, or you can check it out at http://www.pocketfives.com/. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

TheMasterJ said...

those guys play a very high volume of tournies which is one of the reasons this will be so tough. i think your odds are like 20-1 to get top 10. you need to do extremely well in the wcoop events to have any shot. i was thinking about trying this one month but i dont want to kill myself by playing tournies all day 5 times a week. you almost have no life playing that many tournies

Chris Viox said...

I agree with you. I won't be playing as much as them, but I will be playing a fair amount. Plus alot of the tourneys these guys play aren't really worth it for the points. I won't be doing smaller end buyin, semi-big prize pools (30K and under) that these guys do alot of. These often have well over 1500 players. You have to get top 3 (assuming 30K prize pool) to get more than 90 pts. These are long shots. I am focusing on higher buyin and smaller fields, and obviously all the really big prize pools. These offer better shots at more points.

At the same time, I know I am at a disadvantage to the degens due to pure volume :)

A Slice of Pi - Life Is Good

Chris Viox