Monday, August 13, 2007

Life is Good

"Life is Good", why do I have that phrase in my blog title? It goes back to this WSOP Main Event. I was 0 for 14 in the series, and it was probably as bad of a rut as I had been in emotionally for a while. The day before the man event, Paul, Doug Kim, Truman, Gabriel (Truman's girlfriend), and I watched this goofy little video Paul had. It was all about the power of positive thinking. I said why not try it. I went into the main event with a thought in my head, "Just play your game, and all the chips will come your way." I repeated this to myself countless times during the each day. I also thought to myself periodically while I looked at everyone at my table "You guys know I will get your chips." This sounds pretty ridiculous I know, but it put me in a positive frame of mind which makes decision making much easier simply because you are confident. Exuding confidence in poker as well as life can be felt if not seen. People react differently to confident looking people. I didn't win the main event, but I did place 306th for 40K. It got me back to about even for the series, but more importantly it gave me a better way to look at life. Since the end of the WSOP, I have been on the best run in poker since early last year when the games were much easier.

It goes beyond that though. I have a great wife, wonderful kids, and a great extended family and group of friends. Really what more could you ask for. Short term swings in poker take on much less importance. Furthermore by being my own boss, I get to chose when I work and when I spend time doing other things. I spend far more time with my wife and kids that most fathers. I am trying to keep this in mind when things aren't going as well.

Life is what you make of it. If you always whine and bitch about how shitty your job is, you have chosen to focus on that aspect of your life. It will consume you. I know plenty of people who have bad jobs; some are happy, others aren't. I rarely ever hear the happy ones complain even though they have the same problems as most everyone else. Be proactive. If you sit around doing nothing, don't be surprised when nothing good happens to you.

I believe the vast majority of people have the opportunity to make whatever they want of it. Figure out what you want out of life and how you're going to get there. Make this your daily focus. Pretty soon you just might get there, but it will take some work. I seem to accomplish most of the goals I set for myself, but I don't think I appreciate life nearly enough. Currently, my focus has been to appreciate what I have, this is why I have chosen "Life is Good."

1 comment:

TheGraveWolf said...

Good to see you have a blog mr Pi. Will look forward to checking it out/adding it to my daily round of blogs i check. Good luck!

A Slice of Pi - Life Is Good

Chris Viox