Saturday, May 31, 2008

Event #2 - $1500 NLH

This massive event with a so-so structure is usually very juicy. However, because you don't start with that many chips (3k w/ 25/50 blinds) a good start is relatively important. Typically by the 3rd level (100/200) the average stack only has around 4500. At this point, there is a big consolidation period where getting some big starting hands can boost your stack dramatically.

At the first break, I was sitting about average at 4500. Nothing much had happened, and my table was ideal. I had a great read on the most active player at the table, but no one was really too aggressive. I then lost a 1500 pot with K7s vs A3o where I was getting exactly 2:1 to call pre after two guys had limped, I limped, and then the SB went allin for 500 more.

I chipped back up into the 4500 range when I ran my only substantial bluff of the tourney. At the 50/100 level, a guy limped in MP, and I completed my SB with T3h. The BB checked his option, and the flop came down T82. I check-raised the limper's 200 bet to 600. He was a guy who was obviously scared to bust based on some previous hands/comments. The BB folded, and when the action got back to him he muttered something along the lines of "damn I think I'm outkicked." He didn't say it loudly, but I clearly heard it, and I knew this guy wasn't angle shooting. I figured he'd fold right there, but then he just called leaving himself 1175 in chips. I know this b/c I asked for his chip count prior to the turn card. Now I know he has a better T than me, but I also don't think he'll call a shove most of the time on the turn unless he pairs his other card. A beautiful 2 rolled off and I shoved him in fairly quickly. He hemmed and hawwed for a bit before folding QT face up.

I got up to 8k with a 2:1 suckout for a 4k pot, but then got moved to a new table where my stack was only about average. I misplayed a hand to lose 1500, then made a semi-marginal call to lose another 2500. For the next two hours, I bought a couple blinds and shoved allin over the top of someone once with 66. My stack stayed pretty even during this time.

After getting moved to my third table, I proceeded to fold for about 2 or 3 rounds. There was a nut there opening alot of hands, and I was card dead with not much fold equity. Soon the blinds were up to 200/400 with a 50 ante. I finally found a chance to shove for 2700 in the cutoff with xx. I didn't look. Everyone folded. Next hand I got QJ and shoved again. The BB made me sweat and then folded saying "I'll let you have this one." (This foreshadowed the bustout hand.)

I folded another round and a half. Then the UTG guy limped (which seemed weak from him), and I looked down at JJ. In went my 3700 in chips. It folds around to the button (the previously mentioned sweater) who ships his 6-7K in chips in. Everyone else folded. I honestly had no idea where I stood. I thought he could have anything from 88 on up to AK or AQ. Of course, my thoughts on his range were a bit off as he flips over A4s. I think I would have rather seen AK, at least that would have made sense. Anyway the flop came 653. Turn 8. River 2.

Not the way I'd like to go out, but I have plenty more chances in the coming month. My next tourney is on Monday - $1500 PL Holdem.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good attitude. Good luck, Daddy! We miss you!

A Slice of Pi - Life Is Good

Chris Viox